Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Math Tests -- the results

So, we plowed our way through the Math Placement Tests and the results are in -- now we decide when to order and whether to ship here (gulp!!) or to Texas and can we wait to get the new math until we get to go home???

Caleb did amazingly well, better than I'd anticipated even.  On the entire 30 question test, divided into two parts, he missed 4 questions.  The grading scale says he could miss 5 on part one and 7 on part two and still be deemed "ready to take Teaching Textbooks 4" so I'm thrilled.  He is clearly doing well with Singapore, but as he is fast entering that level of math where I started having problems with teaching, I want to avoid that this go-round. So we're switching him over, and I'm excited.

Timothy is a different story. As I've said, he and I have struggled a bit with math ever since mid-way through Singapore 3. As he is finishing up Singapore 5, you can imagine the pain and frustration that math has been for the past three years. We stopped Singapore altogether one year and just focused on math facts; we slowed down one year and mixed in critical thinking problems for half the time; we trudged forward and at times raced forward -- it's been the most challenging aspect of our homeschool thus far.  That I've let us --him-- struggle for this long without switching sooner is something I deeply regret.  My only defense is that none of the other options seemed any better: Teaching Textbooks didn't have available, back then, the level he would have needed. Now that his path is finally intersecting with TT, I think he'll soar. 

In the end, I'm still undecided on whether to put him TT 7 or TT Pre-Algebra.  My gut says go with TT 7, which is, after all, the exact level his "grade" matches.  He could do Pre Algebra, I think. On a good day, it would be easy for him. On a bad day, he would be miserable.  So I'm stumped.  I think he'll have lots more good days with Teaching Textbooks.....but am I willing to gamble on that, to bet on that, enough to put him in Pre-Algebra?? Because it's a bet I am not willing to lose. I'm switching so we'll have No Tears Math: putting him ahead of what he's ready for will defeat the purpose.

"But he did the placement test, right?? How'd he do???"  -- see, that's the problem. With zero review before hand, he didn't do well. At all.  A quick day of review, and he missed zero problems. Scored 100%. And it was just "review" -- every problem on the placement test was something he's covered already. Stuff he can do, with ease. On a good day.  So I think -- great! He's ready for Pre-Algebra!  And he is. Unless he's having a bad day.  Unless it's been a while since he's seen that kind of math problem.  In which case.....well, it's those bad days that are the reason for the switch.  So I don't know what to think, which level to choose.

If any of you have a child who struggles with math....or if any of you used to be math teachers in your former lives and have some tips (hint, hint Shawna....).....or if any of you has any idea at all to help me decide and help me understand, I'll be happy to discuss it in more detail off the blog. Or take a note of encouragement on the blog. Either or both, I'm not picky. Most of all, I'm excited that No Tears Math could be ahead of us, in our near future. Wish me luck and wisdom as I decide where to place Timmy, and say a little prayer of thanks that we might truly have finally found a program that works for all of us.

And seriously -- if you have tips, email me. Or leave me your email in a comment so I can email you. (I won't publish the email!).

6 comments:

  1. Heather, go with TT7. A year of review before starting higher math is totally worth it. He needs to be rock solid on fractions, decimals, and percentages before starting algebra. You won't regret it; you won't think, "Gee, Timmy could have been in Calculus by now if we hadn't spent 7th grade in review." You'll be glad that his foundation is solid so that he does not struggle through algebra. Also, it would be a great transition for him to be reviewing with the new curricula before using it to learn new material.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh boy -

    I have a similar situation. We did go with the lower level (he tested right on the border) because I WANTED and he NEEDED no tears math. I kid you not - it was about making a successful experience. SO WHAT if he buzzes through and I have to invest in the next level early??? HE enjoys math now (not every day mind you - but he's not paralyzed by it) where as before we. had. tears. every. lovin'. session. He also likes the 'power' that comes with him being able to do it on his own - without me over his shoulder all the time - 'helping' clarify the explanations.

    It has been quite empowering for him and THAT was my goal.

    What is your goal with him?

    I honestly don't even care about grade level anymore - I need to adjust and mix to meet his learning needs, challenges.

    My dd is in TT4 too and it's easy peasy at first but - there IS a jump. She's not *struggling* per se - but it's not a cake walk. (Like most other things in her schooling seem to be) Man - having a child that just *gets* everything without having to work very hard at it is interesting. :)

    I have all ends of the spectrum. Which is why I drink a lot of coffee to keep myself sane. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heather, regarding shipping to your home here in Brazil. You may or may not know that "print material" is not subject to import duty. While most everything shipped here has a 60% tax, not so for books.

    I would think it gets more complicated when the print materials have an accompanying CD or DVD. But if the shipper indicates on shipping documents that it is printed material - no tax. The simple shipping costs would not be too much.

    Perhaps you know the answer to this - been there, done that. Or perhaps a call to the shipper would clarify.

    Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Jim. I do know that about books not being subject to the extra tax. With the company we'd purchase from, though, the shipping is calculated based on purchase price, and while "only" a book, the price is high. If we decide we need it sooner, we'll ship to TX (I have free shipping in the US with this company) and then have family ship it over.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jennifer -- excellent points and definitely more my leaning. Glad to hear someone else say so. And you nailed the underlying conflict perfectly -- thank you for saying we won't regret missing calculus.

    Hayes Zoo -- my goal for him is definitely, absolutely, 1000% to have a NO TEARS MATH for a change. I, too, am thinking the success of doing a "lower" (age appropriate) math will be more beneficial in the long run than hitting Calculus his senior year.

    Thanks for the heads-up on TT4, too. Yes, it is interesting with some at all ends of the spectrum -- especially with kids who range in their abilities from one subject to the next. Ooh, boy, does that get fun. : ) I seriously need to figure out a sanity-saving drink or snack that doesn't make my husband cringe.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and commenting!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by! I welcome comments of all sorts and viewpoints, but I do have moderation enabled so I can avoid the word verification. I will post everything, but it won't show up right away. Thanks for reading & commenting; I look forward to hearing what you have to say!