Thursday, March 22, 2012

What We're Learning, 1st Edition...

My friend over at Grateful for Grace is starting a new link-up called "What We're Learning." It's fun to read her list, which has both silly & serious, and then to go and read the stuff people have blogged and linked up with. (clearly, grammar is not on my WWL list today!) Being a good friend, I can't resist joining the party.

We're learning lots of things at our house this week.....

....algebra. Solving for x and all that. Side-by-side white boards on the couch, student and teacher, working through the problems in the book. Together. We've turned math from something that used to involve shouting and crying and fussing and frustration (from both the teacher and the student, sadly) to something that we collaborate on, our mutual enemy and together we team up and conquer this stuff. It's amazing, really.

....the alphabet. Yes, The Adventurer is still learning the basics. That each little scribble has a name and makes a particular sound (or two or three....). That if you string enough scribbles (letters) together, they make words. His penmanship is fantastic, and he can perfectly print every single letter. We're working on recall, and I'm confident he'll get it. Soon. I hope. And, no, the irony of teaching & learning both algebra & the alphabet is not lost on me.

....context clues. The Artist is reading a free version of Sherlock Holmes mysteries on the Kindle, and the formatting is sometimes off just a bit, so that some words show up as nothing but upside down question marks and fractions and dots. He asked me about it the first time he encountered this oddity, and I helped him decipher what that word was meant to be, and then he mentioned that this funny mix of symbols shows up here & there and what should he do? I explained to him about poor editing jobs and told him he'd just have to guess based on what word he thinks best fits in the empty space. He hasn't asked again, so I guess he's getting it.

....the necessity of giving things a fair shake. This one's me. I was all set to boycott the movie The Hunger Games, as I hadn't read the book and had no desire at all to read or see anything that involves kids sent into an arena to fight to the death. None. It just seemed too horrific. But The Chemist looked me in the eye with that gaze that means, "I'm having trouble recognizing you right now..." and asked me what was my biggest criticism of those who blindly boycotted Harry Potter. Silence. He waited. I said I'd download the book and he grinned. Because my biggest complaint is that people would boycott a book they'd not even done the courtesy of reading.

Read it. Decide for yourself if it is okay for you & yours. But do not just judge it based on what someone else tells you to believe about it; do not just latch onto one aspect of a book, any book, and declare it inappropriate until you've read the whole of it and can decide for yourself.

So I borrowed book one from the library, finished it in one gulp and immediately bought a 3-in-1 version for the Kindle so I could keep going, and just this morning I finished the epilogue. I'm still sorting out whether the horrors in the series are the sort of thing I need to shield my boys from, or throw the light on full force. I've already acknowledged that mostly my boys won't be terribly undone, like their mom, at the scenes of psychological warfare; the scenes that twist a knife in my gut as I ache for Katniss will, I think, ricochet around my boys without inflicting any damage. I'm still deciding for sure, though.

....to let them grow up. This ties in with that last one, as I search my heart and soul and the hearts of my boys, or what they let me see of them, to decide when to offer them The Hunger Games. It comes in small doses, as I convince The Chemist that our oldest son, 14.5 yrs old, is old enough to walk to tennis lessons alone. Even if we both see the same small boy who never wanted to leave our sides, reality stares back at me, at us, in a teenager thrilled to be granted this tiny freedom. It's hard to pretend he's still a little boy when I have to look up into his eyes.

....to cook. Okay, I know how to cook, more or less. But we're doing a group class with some friends of ours, here at my house, once a week. Every week I go onto Jamie Oliver's Home Cooking website and print off a recipe and matching skill sheets. Each week my kitchen fills with 4 kids learning to chop and slice and peel and muddle & bang their way around a kitchen, learning to cook. Then they eat and laugh and goof off and I smile to know we're giving them skills that will last them through life. More of that growing up bit.

Not much on the silly side from me this week, but I'm sure my friend over at GfG won't mind. Someone has to be serious sometimes. Not sure I'll manage to link up every week, but I'll try. Go and read her stories and the rest; they're much funnier than mine.

We've got learning to get back to.

6 comments:

  1. You really *are* a good friend! Thank you for joining "the party"!

    I love reading your list! So terrific!

    Ok, I'll join you in the confession. When friends were reading it here on camp two summers ago, I was firmly against it for the same reason as you: kids killing each other for government imposed games. No. Way.

    BUT... then My Sweetie read it. Quickly. Then he decided to let some of the kids read it. So... I felt left out. ;) Started it and finished it twenty four hours later. Now 1/3 through the second.

    It might get too dark for my taste, but so far I'm addicted to the characters.

    Wish you were here to go with me to the movie tonight. :)

    hugs!

    Oh, and I am close to inspired by your cooking gig. Close. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy your blogging break seems to be over. It's nice to hear what' happening!

    I am firmly of the belief that I should not be the monitor of what my kids choose to read. I would probably intervene if I saw them read something wildly inappropriate, but then, I read wildly inappropriate things when I was a child. (Rosemary's Baby in the 4th grade? Yup. The Godfather in the 7th grade. Ditto. I don't think either one harmed me.) As parents these days we all focus on protecting our children and shielding them from what we deem to be too (insert adjective here: dangerous, inappropriate, dystopian) but our job as parents is to raise adults who think for themselves and the way they do that is to be exposed to as many ideas as possible. I'm sure many of you will vehemently disagree. But, then, you probably want to raise adults who think the way you do. I have two responsible adult children, both exceedingly good citizens and productive members of society. And they are both critical thinkers. I also am still raising two teenagers, who likewise think for themselves. And that means they don't always agree with my worldview or my philosophies. And I like it that way. So, dear Reader, I'm glad you decided to give The Hunger Games a try. I've only read the Kindle sample, but I liked it very much. One of my teenagers has just expressed a desire to read it, so we'll download in on the Kindle. But she also wants to read David Sedaris. And I'll let her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mendon, so glad you stuck around through the break!! yay!!

    I also read crazy inappropriate stuff at young ages, and some of it scared me but a lot of it went over my head. For me, with this book, it's more about hoping they read it at an age where they "get it" rather than it just being entertainment. And, with one child, weighing whether or not it will trigger anxiety. One wrong movie choice led to over a year of bedtime angst as he wondered over & over about the world coming to an end.

    So it is with that in mind, nothing more, that I weigh whether this particular child is mature enough yet to handle the themes in this book without heading into another year of almost crippling anxiety.

    I definitely agree with you on not wanting to raise little Mini-Mes though. I don't think just like my parents, they don't think just like their parents, and so forth & so on, and yet we all get along wonderfully most of the time. Makes life interesting, and I fully expect that my boys will develop their own ideas as they grow. Yes, even if that means they sometimes read things that they pick out without me.

    Now, who's this David Sedaris person?? Off to look him up....

    (and thank you for chiming in! I always love to hear your viewpoint, even the times I do disagree)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mindy, definitely check out the cooking stuff. It is easy, and fun, and all laid out there for you. Pick a category, a recipe, and go. Seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Reader! And I didn't mean you specifically wanting to raise kids who think just like you do.

    And I was fortunate enough not to have anxious kids. (Although the one who recently made me a Grandma did have other anxieties about perfectionism and whatnot)so I never had to worry too much about that, but I do know people who had kids that would be awake for a week or two after seeing a scary movie. A year, that is definitely something to want to avoid.

    I have also been getting my 13 year old boy to cook lately. He is always so proud of his efforts and Dad always pronounces it "better than mom's!) And I have been able to pass off the cooking to the teenagers quite a bit more lately as I am consumed with work. It is great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yeah for cooking and that you still like Jamie - I think of ya'll whenever I see his stuff around here :)

    Congrats on the letting 'em grow up - it's hard.

    Hunger Games - if you like those try Orson Scott Card Ender's Game.

    However, I'm not reading 'em at the moment, just too fragile for anything nasty so skipping it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by! I welcome comments of all sorts and viewpoints, but I do have moderation enabled so I can avoid the word verification. I will post everything, but it won't show up right away. Thanks for reading & commenting; I look forward to hearing what you have to say!