Tuesday, September 1, 2009

A New Schedule

Remember my sweet Avon Lady + Bible Study Leader + Portuguese Teacher? Well, Louci comes today for her first lesson with the boys, and so we are trying out a new schedule to accomodate things.

Since we currently school in the afternoon, starting around 3 and finishing around 5, and since Louci will come Tues/Thurs from 4:30 to 6:30, we need to tweak our schedule a bit. I mean, the kids can't be finishing up history and listening to Portuguese grammar at the same time, now can they?

So, on Portuguese days at least, we'll school from 11 to 1, or thereabouts. That will give everyone time in the morning to have their wake up period and finish the morning routine, and still give plenty of time in the afternoon for a break between lessons. The kids would be worthless going from an intense math lesson straight into Portuguese grammar, so the tweak in the schedule is totally necessary.

Which is why I got up early, did my cleaning, got the house ready, and am now, at this very moment, a quarter of the way through the morning's school schedule. The bathrooms are clean, the dishes are done, the main areas of the house are picked up and neat, I've had my Wii Fit time and my shower, and the day is rolling along smoothly.

I mean, I wouldn't goof the new schedule on the very first day, would I? Would I???

Well, I didn't mean to, let's put it that way. I intended for my morning to go as I just described, only, well, I got up very early (6:45....) and then when Quentin left for work (8:00), Zach asked me to play in his room. So I did. Only it involved lying down in his bed to watch him play, since he took over my part anyway. And the next thing I remember is Zach asking me for cereal, and it was 10:15. Apparently I fell asleep.

So I jumped out of bed, fixed Zach's cereal, cleaned the kitchen, cleaned the front bathroom, and....oh, wait....I already confessed that I didn't do all that, didn't I? Oops.

What really happened is this: I stumbled out of bed, fixed his cereal, kicked Timmy off the computer and sat down to check my blogs. Not "my blogs" as in the ones I write, 'cause there's only this one, but "my blogs" as in, your blogs, the blogs I read. I got all caught up, and started this post, and a few interruptions later, here I am finishing my post and now, at 11:32, we will finally start school. And I'll clean during the "break" between school and Portuguese.

I'll even clean a little extra, because a bored 4 year old, with no adult awake, makes a large mess of toys in the living room. I hate to think what it would look like if Timmy hadn't woken up when he did. He very helpfully corraled Zach and played computer games while Zach watched. Love that helpful boy; I'm so glad to have a responsible pre-teen in the house who takes charge when I fall down on the job.

Now, where did that boy run off to? Doesn't he know it's time for school?? (and, by "time for school, I do mean that it is now officially 38 minutes past our planned start time....)

5 comments:

  1. Isn't it amazing how quiet boys can be? I think this is a better start to your new schedule. You have not set an impossibly high standard which you will never meet again. ;^)

    Starting school "on time" is a rare event at my house, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You mean you are meant to start on time? I figured it was a flexible slot that moved and flowed...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heather - you crack me up. :)

    Good job on the first day. Schedules are like the SL IG's. You pick and choose, not do everything they list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh too funny! Yeah for getting the extra sleep and Yeah for a helpful big brother! :)

    Can't wait to hear about the new language lessons. And sorry your blog reading didn't take long enough... I'm working on mine.

    Love your new layout & header!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joyce -- thank you!!! I'm glad you noticed : )

    Everyone else -- thank you, too! : ) The day was not a total bust, I was able to get stuff done and they had Portuguese on time and all. Whew!

    Glad I made you all laugh, that is what I live for. And glad you all understand about schedules being guidelines. It's nice to have back-up on that philosophy.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by! I welcome comments of all sorts and viewpoints, but I do have moderation enabled so I can avoid the word verification. I will post everything, but it won't show up right away. Thanks for reading & commenting; I look forward to hearing what you have to say!