Wednesday, September 8, 2010

School Room Redo is Done!

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was planning and working on a school room redo; well, it’s finally done.

We do  not have a dedicated school room, so it has been a challenge to combine school items and an efficient layout with an aesthetically pleasing dining room, the first room you see when you enter our home.

When we first moved into this house, approximately eighteen months ago, we set up the computer desk, the book shelves, and the dining table; they’ve not moved from their original positions. Filling the shelves, and keeping things neat and organized as our school has morphed and grown over the years (remember, we now have all three boys doing formal schooling, not just the two older boys) has meant the contents of the bookshelves get shuffled around, often.

Lately, though, I’ve been itching for change. Everyone back home is starting a brand new school year, while we are about half way done. The professora particular was antsy to mix things up, bring in some freshness to our year, and rejuvenate her spirits. Redecorating and reorganizing always helps with that, I find. Apparently, the professora agrees. ; ) A few changes, and I’ve finally found a set up that balances useful with pretty.

our school room - 2010

The first step to the redo was to purge the shelves of books the boys have finished using for this year. Those all moved up to my closet, shown in a previous post. I also added plastic tubs (to be replaced later with something prettier) where the older two boys can each store their workbooks; this keeps them from flopping over, keeps the shelf looking neat, and keeps things from getting all jumbled and messy on my shelves. I also rearranged the decorative touches, and added some framed scripture to serve as mood setters, reminders, encouragement, etc. during our school days. I did the scripture frames a while ago, but never put them out. I used scrapbook papers and pens; cheap and easy and fun.

IMG_9634IMG_9636 IMG_9637

 IMG_9638

*the scriptures are I John 2:10; Romans 12:10; Psalm 127:3; Psalm 119:66 and Philippians 4:8-9.

Next up, I found a way to hang our maps. We bought this World Map Shower Curtain a few years ago, at Target, but The Chemist has not wanted to hang it where it will be seen. I suppose I can’t blame him. Luckily, I found these oversized hooks which allow me to hide it on the curtain rod, behind the curtains when not in use, and then pull it out when we need it. I also hung this lovely National Geographic map; that keeps little cat paws from dirtying my wall, is a beautiful piece of artwork, and soothing for the boys to look at; the colors are very calming.

IMG_9642the world map, when in use, also gives us a buffer of privacy without loss of natural light, since our window faces the street.

IMG_9630  National Geographic map, computer desk, shelf & display hooks (explained below)

After I got the bookshelves organized and the maps hung, I asked The Chemist to hang my shelf. He did. The printer, previously homeless, moved up there, and I was able to move my teacher’s manuals up there as well. I cleaned an empty ice cream tub and put the boys’ quality art supplies in it; these are the supplies they use when they do art class, not the materials they use for every day stuff.

The other half of the shelf holds various games, things that I use with The Adventurer as part of his class time or things the older boys use while they are waiting to move on to the next subject. The games include things like Boggle, Memory games, Rush Hour and Block by Block, Dominos, and other single-player games that occupy hands and minds. Last but not least, my camera finally has a place to live, at the end of the shelf.

Above the shelf I hung three clothespins, which I will use to display the boys’ school work. Currently there’s a painting by The Artist and one by The Adventurer. The hook for The Writer is empty at the moment, but that’s bound to change soon.

IMG_9631

 

The last three changes are minor and stuff no one will really see but us; I moved the boys Portuguese materials into the closed cabinet in the computer desk, along with their everyday art supplies which were already there. Then, I hung our ABC Scripture Memory Verses posters up, on the side of the bookshelf that faces the table. Guests to our home won’t generally see that, but the boys can read it easily from their seats at the table. Lastly, I tucked a chalkboard, some educational placemats, and some additional maps into the space between and beside the bookshelves. I also put my scrapbook papers on the floor next to the desk, but I’m not sure yet if they’ll live their forever. They are sorted and organized into a rotating desk caddy, but The Chemist is not fond of it being visible, so we’ll see what he says.

IMG_9647 IMG_9648

IMG_9629

Overall, we came up with a look that is nice and unobtrusive, keeping the “school room” look to a minimum while still providing wonderful functionality for us. Thanks so much for stopping by; the professory really enjoys giving little tours of her school! I hope you enjoyed it, and I hope any of you out there currently homeschooling, but in a small space (like mine) found it encouraging to see a small space that works well. Happy Schooling, everyone!

5 comments:

  1. nice wall colour, I love that idea of the map and privacy - we also face the street!

    Such a good use of space - glad it is going to work better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks, guys!

    Mrs W - the wall color was there when we moved in. At first, I wasn't thrilled, but man do I love it now. The map is a blessing, for sure; I'm glad we have back yard privacy, but I'm not thrilled that the room we're ALWAYS in has next to no privacy.

    Amazing how a few really minor touches have improved the space so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice!! Congrats. And I noticed you have a wooden boat (or rafter) just like the one I have.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh wow you home school? i dont have kids but i remember the topic being hot on the ExPat blog site, some people claiming that it was against the laws in Brasil. i didn't think so, but, nice school room!!

    i saw you comment on some other blog and say you lived in Campinas, i live in Indaiatuba like 30 minutes away! im from seattle, will link to your blog :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by! I welcome comments of all sorts and viewpoints, but I do have moderation enabled so I can avoid the word verification. I will post everything, but it won't show up right away. Thanks for reading & commenting; I look forward to hearing what you have to say!