Friday, September 10, 2010

Well, that didn't last long....

The blackberries, that is.

I thought we'd make a pie this weekend.

I thought we'd have blackberry pancakes for dinner.

I thought we had plenty of blackberries to do both of those and still let the boys eat as they wished.

I was wrong.

In three short hours, we went from 12 cups of blackberries to 4 and a half cups of blackberries.

Between The Writer and The Artist, 7 and a half cups of blackberries, gone. Disappeared. Eaten, just as nature made them, straight from the bowl to their mouths.

And just like that, plans for blackberry pancakes flew right out the window.

I tried. I really did. I wanted blackberry pancakes for dinner, and do an apple/berry pie or a peach/berry pie. I even have a recipe for apple/berry in a Jamie Oliver cookbook, but even that didn't persuade the boys. I guess their gorge on pure blackberries did two things - satiated them for now, and made the thought of corrupting their pie downright atrocious sounding.

The remaining four and a half cups are thus safely reserved in a baggie, waiting to be turned into pie sometime this weekend, right after I buy a pie pan and a pie crust. Because I know better than to try and make my own.

I guess I don't need those recipes after all.....

5 comments:

  1. Yea, but....

    I almost wrote in there "If I try it, The Mendon Foodie will laugh so loud I'll be able to hear her down here."

    I also almost linked over to a blog of a guy who knows his way around pie crust, but has trouble with it here because of the humidity or something.

    I will look at your recipe. I have a Jamie Oliver recipe too. My hubby wants to make it (after we buy a pan for it). I am scared to try.

    But, after that stern talking to....maybe. I'll take pictures and it will be good for a laugh, anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would KILL for good, yummy, fresh blackberries! I probably would have eaten them all up too!!

    So jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reader - the flour here is low in protein content (less gluten) so I have experimented a bit and find if I use good quality (and very COLD) butter with a few extra table spoons of flour I can get the dough to cooperate long enough to get it into the pie dish.

    TMF´s recipe is like mine, but I use 2 tablespoons of sugar insteads of the vinegar. Keep everything cold. When you have it in the pie dish I then put that into the freezer for 15 minutes befor putting it into a preheated oven.

    Good luck and happy pie eating!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jim--low gluten flour is perfect for pie crust-in fact in my blog I recommend buying pie and pastry flour (in essence low gluten).

    You can put the sugar and vinegar in, both.

    And I recommend keeping your flour in the freezer. Everything super cold is the key.

    Reader: I promise I won't laugh if you try. You'll be so proud of yourself when you do it. Be sure to take a picture. I loved the ones of the boys with berries all over their faces.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Go for it! Homemade pie crusts are the best! I´m going to try the recipe everyone is talking about. I ran out of butter flavored Crisco... Time for a visit home ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by! I welcome comments of all sorts and viewpoints, but I do have moderation enabled so I can avoid the word verification. I will post everything, but it won't show up right away. Thanks for reading & commenting; I look forward to hearing what you have to say!