Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Science Quiz: Are YOU Smarter than my 4th Grader?

Okay, okay, cheesy title I know. I couldn't help it.  I'm just so proud of my boys!

Today was the last day of our science class for the 2010/2011 school year (which ran from May 2010 to Feb 2011, with various breaks throughout).  We've been studying the Human Body, using some of the materials from Sonlight's Science 5 and some additional materials from Home Science Tools science catalog. Plus Frankenstein's Human Body Book which we picked up at Barnes & Noble. It's been a fun year.

For today, our final day, we did the dreaded Reproductive System and concluded with our Major Systems Review.  We filled out charts showing dominant genes, recessive genes, and who in our family (mom, dad, boys) has which. We laughed as even five year old Adventurer tried rolling his tongue. We giggled as we compared pinky fingers to see who had straight, who had crooked/bent ones. Jokes were made about hatching from eggs, growing from seeds, cells dividing (since The Artist is just learning long division.....).  It was a seriously fun day.

At the end of it all, I handed each of the older boys a worksheet. Down one column, the names of various major body parts & internal organs. Across the top, the names of the major body systems. Their job - put a check mark or an X in the correct column for each body part, drawing only on the memory of what we've been studying all year.

They both did really, really well.  One boy got 100%, the other got 89% on the quiz. With no studying. No warning they would have this quiz. Just, "Oh, fill in this chart for me...."  And they did. Really, really well.

Here it is in case you'd like to try.  Do you know which organs go with each system? 

Systems:
Digestive; Urinary; Respiratory; Circulatory; Reproductive; Endocrine; Nervous

Organs:
Bladder; Brain; Heart; Ovaries; Liver; Pancreas; Kidneys; Spinal Cord; Lungs; Small Intestines; Diaphragm; Mouth; Nerves; Testes; Thyroid Gland; Arteries; Esophagus; Cerebellum

So, what's the verdict? Are you as smart as my 4th Grader? Or my 7th Grader? Can you correctly place these major organs? 

And, what is your favorite (or least favorite) subject in school? Science has long been a favorite in our house, what with a Chemist for a father and all. What about you? 

4 comments:

  1. My favorite subject in school was always history, part of the reason I was so drawn to Sonlight. I've always found learning about how other people lived fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was doing great until I realized I'd forgotten what the Endocrine system was for. ...I would have figured it out if I had spent time with a sheet in front of me... but it looks like your boys are more up on this stuff than me [smile].

    ~Luke

    ReplyDelete
  3. They did great!
    I was good at science. I like biology in theory, but I'm not a fan of dissecting animals. That worm in the 5th grade did me in!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Um for this test yes - just don't ask me a sport one k? But I adore Biology, including pre-med and Human Biology so would have been surprised if not :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by! I welcome comments of all sorts and viewpoints, but I do have moderation enabled so I can avoid the word verification. I will post everything, but it won't show up right away. Thanks for reading & commenting; I look forward to hearing what you have to say!