Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Speaking Portuguese: Are We Fluent Yet?

We get asked, often, if we speak Portuguese, are we fluent, are the kids fluent, and any other variation on that question that you can possibly imagine. I was asked this again recently by fellow blogger Ray, a Brazilian living in the US.

Since I get the question all the time, and the answer is really too long for a reply comment, I thought I'd put it out here for all of you who maybe wonder but haven't asked yet.

The short answer is "Yes."  And "Not really." Any of you who currently live outside your home country, or ever have, will understand that, but for the rest of you,  let me explain a bit.

Language learning comes in waves and layers, and the first step to answering the question, "Do you speak the language?" is really understanding what the asker is actually asking. Does he mean, "Do you speak enough to get around?"  Does he mean, "Do you speak like a native?" Is he really interested in "At what point between 'not a word of it' to 'like a native' are you currently in your language learning process?" See what I mean? It's not an easy question to answer.

If we draw a line, with "not a single word" on one end and "like a native" on the other, and understand then that I'll spend most of my time somewhere between the two, creeping ever so slowly towards that elusive "like a native" endpoint, you'll understand how the answer can vary so greatly.

Most people who ask the question mean, "Can you get around in town? Do you really have to do everything in Portuguese?? Are there no English speaking people most places, really???" The answer to that one is yes, I do everything in Portuguese (outside of the home), and no, most places, there aren't English speakers to help out.

Some people then ask, "Are you fluent??" and I haven't honestly figured out how to answer that, because "fluent" can mean something totally different to each person. For me, I keep "like a native" as the ever-present, seemingly unattainable ideal. In that case, the answer is no. Not even close. But, the situations where I have to pause and admit I have no idea what word I want, or I have to use a different phrasing than I would use in English, because I can't translate exactly -- in other words, the times I find my communication skills lacking or hindered -- those are fewer and fewer every day.

Do they still happen? Do I still sometimes resort to pantomime and made up sign language? Yes, of course. Do fast talkers still hopelessly trip me up? You betcha. Do technical situations, with language I don't use in the everyday course of life, scare the bejeebies out of me?? Yep, they sure do. But, can I muddle through and successfully, even if awkwardly, navigate my way through pretty much any situation, all in Portuguese?  Yes, yes I can.

Does that make me fluent, though??? I don't know.

As for the kids, which is what Ray really asked about, the older two boys have had far more formal lessons than I have had. Their grammar is far better than mine, because I learned most of my Portuguese on the street, talking to the vendors at the fruit fair or the hippie fair. The boys, on the other hand, have had over a year's worth of lessons from a native speaker who comes to the house twice a week. Luci works with each boy for an hour at a time, two times a week. She's made sure to teach them educated Portuguese, proper grammar, and she doesn't let them slack off. In that way, they speak better than I do.

But they don't use their Portuguese as much. So, I muddle through, learning as I go, and sounding every bit the clumsy foreigner when I do speak the language. Meanwhile, my boys are quietly in the background, sometimes correcting me when I make mistakes. When the opportunity comes up, and the motivation is there, they seem to be further down that line towards "like a native" than I am. They just don't always have the motivation to actually speak in Portuguese.

The youngest, on the other hand, understands it well, pretends not to, and mostly refuses to speak Portuguese at all. Except for on the days when he asks me almost nonstop what the word for (fill in the blank) is in Portuguese, but I can never guess when those days will come. His Portuguese skills are largely based on his mood for the day, and as such, are totally unpredictable.

Oh, and as for the Chemist, he speaks and writes worlds above my level. He speaks Portuguese at work all day long, writes technical and professional emails in Portuguese, makes phone calls in Portuguese and I've not seen him stumble over understanding or expressing himself in ages. If you asked me about his level, I'd call him fluent. If you asked him, he'd say no way.

And that's the rub -- the more you learn, the more you realize you don't know and the more often you recognize your own mistakes. Which is why I'll never answer "yes" when someone asks if I'm fluent. No matter how it might seem to the person asking.

*note: this has been about my speaking ability, which is totally separate from my ability to understand the language; the distinction there and the fact there's a difference between the two is subject of a whole nother blog post, one I don't know that I'll ever write. Suffice it to say, just like young children, we often understand more than we can say, except when faced with a fast talker. 

8 comments:

  1. Dear Reader,

    Thanks for your crystal clear answer :)
    I was curious because I always see childern ( and adults ) from Brazil dealing with learning English and wondered how it would be the other way around ( Americans in Brazil ).
    Usually, around here, the children will learn English perfectly and will help their parents "catch up". However I never met any Brazilians home schooling their kids here.
    I wondered if your kids played with other children around your neighborhood, that would definitely expose them to learning Portuguese quickly. I think it is great that you guys have the concern to keep them learning formal Portuguese with a tutor.
    Sorry, another question... :)
    Do you/your children watch TV/cartoons in Portuguese or English?


    Ray

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great!

    I have the same answer regarding sign language (though the Deaf community does not like anyone who is not deaf or a CODA to say they are fluent). When Daniel lived with us we would get that question a lot and I always felt like it was a much bigger question than they were actully saying aloud. ;-)


    Thanks for the insight into your Brazilian life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ray, sorry I forgot to address that. At home, we watch in English when possible. Traveling, the boys watch in Portuguese. Movies, we try for English but will see Portuguese if we have to.

    So, their primary exposure (and mine too) is to English TV but we are all able to watch and understand Portuguese TV when that's what is available. It does help with language learning, though, that's for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a very lazy language student. I have been here almost three years and still struggle to understand normal conversation and the television. I can usually make myself understood and can converse with my patient friends.

    I have only taken two semesters of classes- and I RARELY practice with the language software I have.

    Just plain lazy. I would do well to re-commit to the task as just waiting to "pick it up" is a fool's errand for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm impressed! I have never had to learn a foreign language like you have had to do so it really boggles my mind. I guess I didn't realize you have to use the local language all the time when you are out. Or maybe just had never thought about it.

    I can feel myself cowering in a corner! But really that wouldn't do any good now, would it? :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish I could speak the way I understand! I am quite a lazy student and really don't want to spend the little free time I have studying. My oldest is fluent in both Port and English. He does have the Brazilian family that helps out with it. I figure he'll start really correcting me one day and then I'll learn ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Reader,

    I am writing this from Thailand. I and my wife for the last few weeks have been reading all your blog entries to soak up like in Brazil. We (with 2 kids) will be moving to Campinas shortly. This is very helpful. Many thanks for sharing the details on daily life in Brazil.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have just discovered this blog and It's really interesting. I am Brazilian and I've been learning English for 2.5 years in Ireland and for sure, I know exactly how you feel:) I'd say that my speaking skills are better than my writing but my listening skills are quite good, depending on the accent. My former teacher told me that there is a difference between " be fluent" and " have fluency". He told me I have fluency, like, speaking in a good speed, fast, having a fluent conversation, trying to correct my own mistakes. Being fluent, as you said, is when you're able to speak like a native, and knows all the vocab, idioms, etc.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by! I welcome comments of all sorts and viewpoints, but I do have moderation enabled so I can avoid the word verification. I will post everything, but it won't show up right away. Thanks for reading & commenting; I look forward to hearing what you have to say!